BASC operates an ‘Invitation Only’ Session for Bronze and Silver Squad swimmers. These sessions operate in pre-defined blocks and carry an additional fee per block (as outlined in the Club Handbook). Swimmers will be invited to attend the ‘invite only’ sessions by the Head Coach on a block by block basis.
This policy document aims to outline the criteria for the inclusion of Bronze/ Silver squad swimmers at these sessions.
The aim of these sessions is to enhance and further develop swimming capabilities, in line with Scottish Swimming’s Long Term Athlete Development (LTAD) programme. In addition, the sessions will allow coaches to work one to one with the invited swimmers, aiding them in their swimming progression. These sessions will also allow swimmers from Bronze and Silver to swim together and bridge the gap between the two squads to quicken the progression up the BASC squad ladder.
The criteria for invitation to these sessions are detailed below:
- Attendance – in order to be considered for the additional session, a minimum attendance must be met.
- For Bronze, the specified minimum attendance is 2 out of 3 of the core training sessions per week (one of which must be Saturday am).
- For Silver, the specified minimum attendance is 3 out of 4 of the core training sessions per week (one of which must be Saturday am)
Commitment is essential to success in any sport and this must be displayed consistently in order to gain invitation.
- Consistent effort in training, the ability to receive and digest coaches’ feedback and performances in recent competitions will all be taken into consideration by the coaches when recommending swimmers for the additional training.
- The length of time spent in the respective squad may also be taken into consideration in deciding the choice of the swimmers for this invite only session. The coach, at his or her own discretion, may decide that additional coaching may benefit the swimmer in order to allow them to progress to the next level in their swimming careers.
BASC coaching team believe that these additional, invite only, sessions encourage swimmers of the Bronze and Silver squads to improve their technical abilities and also spur them on to increase their efforts in training and in competitions in order to gain invitation to the additional sessions.