Bo’ness ASC is a competitive age group swimming club and welcomes new swimmers to the club. To ensure swimmers are placed in the correct squads and that squad sizes are not increased beyond capacity the club has set out the following procedures for entry. New swimmers are considered from two categories.
Category A: swimmers who will be joining a swimming club for the first time
- BASC accepts swimmers aged 7 and over who can swim at least one length of breast stroke, freestyle and backstroke.
- BASC offers trials to Category A swimmers on the first Thursday of every month (excl. Jan and July).
- If successful, swimmers are normally invited to join our Developer squad for a 4 week trial but may be placed in another squad at the discretion of the Head Coach.
Category B: swimmers who wish to move to Bo’ness ASC from another club.
Within category B we prioritise the swimmers as follows:
- We will always do our best to accept swimmers moving from other clubs outside the West Lothian/ Falkirk area, since we feel it is our responsibility, as a club, to ensure current swimmers can continue pursuing their sport after a family move. Such swimmers will be invited to a trial and (if successful) entered into the squad appropriate to their experience and ability.
- We will, where possible, accept swimmers from another club in the West Lothian/ Falkirk area who wish to move to Bo’ness ASC. Such swimmers will only be invited to a trial if there is capacity to accept the swimmer into the club. If successful at a trial the swimmer will be entered into the squad appropriate to their experience and ability. Swimmers who are already members of our sister clubs, Grangemouth ASC or Falkirk Otter ASC should contact the Head Coach at their own club to discuss prior to approaching Bo’ness ASC seeking a transfer.
Note: A swimmer joining the Competition Squads with a view to moving on to FIRST would only get their FIRST Competition Fees subsidised if they have been a member of BASC for 2 years or more prior to moving to FIRST.
The final decision on the allocation of new places and placing in squads lies with the Head Coach.
Upon being offered a place in Bo’ness ASC, applicants must complete either a Scottish Amateur Swimming Association (SASA) club membership form (for new swimmers) or a SASA change of club membership form (for swimmers transferring from another club). This form, together with relevant fees for SASA membership, must be returned to the Membership Secretary within 28 days of joining the club. This is important as it ensures swimmers have insurance cover when swimming with the club.