What we need
Bo’ness ASC will be a “controller” of the personal information that you provide to us unless otherwise stated.
When you register as a member of Bo’ness ASC or renew your membership (including if you are registering or renewing on behalf of a child under the age of 18), we will ask you for the following personal information:
- Contact details for athletes under the age of 18: name, date of birth, address, parent / guardian email address and parent / guardian phone numbers;
- Membership criteria / category: athlete, parent, volunteer (i.e. coach, timekeeper);
- When you use our website: IP address, details you provide in our contact form.
Why we need your personal information – contractual purposes
We need to collect our members’ personal information so that we can manage your membership. We will use our members’ personal information to:
- Provide you with core member services, including insurance, competitions registration, etc.;
- set up your online membership account;
- send you membership communications by WhatsApp messages and email in relation to essential membership services, including but not limited to, training, competitions, fees notifications, etc.;
If you do not provide us with all of the personal information that we need to collect then this may affect our ability to offer the above membership services and benefits.
Why we need your personal information – legitimate purposes
We also process our members’ personal information in pursuit of our legitimate interests to:
- promote and encourage participation in the club activities by sending members’ communications and information for upcoming competitions and events. Our competitions and events may be filmed or photographed and your personal information may also be used in images captured from our competitions and events, which we use for promotional, education and development purposes;
- providing and managing entries to competitions and checking your personal information to ensure you are entered into the correct category;
- monitor participation in swimming training by monitoring members’ attendance;
- invite our members as award winners or guests to our annual awards night;
- develop and maintain our members’ qualifications, including sending email communications to members to inform you of upcoming courses and renewal requirements;
- respond to and communicate with members regarding your questions, comments, support needs or complaints, concerns or allegations in relation to swimming. We will use your personal information to investigate your complaint, to suspend membership, take disciplinary action, etc.;
Why we need your personal information – legal obligations
We are under a legal obligation to process certain personal information relating to our members, parents / guardians, volunteers, etc. for the purposes of complying with our obligations under the Protection of Vulnerable Groups (Scotland) Act 2007 to check that our coaches and volunteers are able to undertake regulated work with children and vulnerable adults.
Other uses of your personal information
We may ask you if we can process your personal information for additional purposes. Where we do so, we will provide you with an additional privacy notice with information on how we will use your information for these additional purposes.
Who we share your personal information with
If your personal information is included in any images or videos taken by us at our competitions and events, we may share this with on our website and social media channels for promotional purposes.
We may be required to share personal information with statutory or regulatory authorities and organisations to comply with statutory obligations. Such organisations include the Health & Safety Executive, Disclosure Scotland, and Police Scotland for the purposes of safeguarding children.
We may also share personal information with our professional and legal advisors for the purposes of taking advice.
In the event that we do share personal information with external third parties, we will only share such personal information strictly required for the specific purposes and take reasonable steps to ensure that recipients shall only process the disclosed personal information in accordance with those purposes.
As a registered club of Scottish Swimming we are required to ensure that all of our members are members of Scottish Swimming as a condition of our membership.
We will share athletes’ details (name, results etc.) with Scottish Swimming who will become a controller of your personal information when they receive it. Scottish Swimming’s privacy notice explains how they use your personal information and can be accessed here.
We also publish athletes’ results on our website. This includes competitors’ name, age and result.
How we protect your personal information
Your personal information is stored on our electronic filing system and our servers based in the UK, and is accessed by our staff for the purposes set out above.
How long we keep your personal information
We will only keep your personal information for as long as necessary to provide you with membership services. Unless you ask us not to, we will review and possibly delete your personal information where you have not renewed your membership with us for [insert number] years.
We will keep certain personal information of members for longer in order to confirm your identity, when you were a member of Bo’ness ASC and for how long. We need to do this to comply with the Companies Act 2006, which requires us to keep a register of members or in the event of a claim against Bo’ness ASC.
Your rights in relation to your personal information are:
- you have a right to request access to the personal information that we hold about you by making a “subject access request”;
- if you believe that any of your personal information is inaccurate or incomplete, you have a right to request that we correct or complete your personal information;
- you have a right to request that we restrict the processing of your personal information for specific purposes; and
- if you wish us to delete your personal information, you may request that we do so.
Any requests received by Bo’ness ASC will be considered under applicable data protection legislation. If you remain dissatisfied, you have a right to raise a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office at www.ico.org.uk