Characteristics of a Club Child Protection Officer within a swimming context include:
- an understanding of, and support for, the maintenance of the Club Child Protection Policy
- an interest in the well-being and safeguarding of children and child protection matters
- the ability to follow procedures and to know when to seek advice and not rely solely on own judgement
- Strong listening skills and the ability to deal with sensitive situations with integrity and confidentiality
- may currently work in a similar environment with training
Main Functions and Duties
- Implement Scottish Swimming child protection policy and procedures.
- Encourage good practice by promoting and championing the child protection policy and procedures.
- Conduct the administrative work associated with processing information on new volunteers / staff
- Liaise closely with Club volunteers / staff, ensuring that agreed procedures for the prevention of risk are followed
- Monitor and review the child protection policy and procedures to ensure they remain current and fit for purpose.
- Counsel / advise Club on matters of policy relating to child protection.
- Raise awareness of the Club Child Protection Officer role to parents/carers, adults, and children involved in the club.
- Raise awareness of the Code of Conduct for working with children to parents/carers, adults and children involved in the club.
- Challenge behaviour which breaches the Code of Conduct.
- Organise/signpost appropriate training for all adults working/volunteering with children in the club.
- Respond appropriately to disclosures or concerns which relate to the well-being of a child.
- Maintain confidential records of reported cases and action taken.
- Where required liaise with the Scottish Swimming Child Protection Officer and/or statutory agencies and ensure they have access to all necessary information
- Good organisation and communication skills
- Reliable, trustworthy and a good listener
- Understanding & appreciation for the need for confidentiality
- Approachable & friendly
- Experience of working with children
- PVG Scheme Membership
- Complete a self-declaration
- Scottish Swimming member
- Attend appropriate training
Training and Support
- Safeguarding & Protecting Children Workshop (renewable every 3 years)
- In Safe Hands Workshop (renewable every 3 years)
- Meet with Scottish Swimming staff member for initial training
Time commitment can vary dependant on size and nature of Club.