Bo’ness Amateur Swimming Club – Head Coach
Organisation: Bo’ness Amateur Swimming Club
Location: Bo’ness Recreation Centre and Academy
Job Type: Head Coach
Hours: Around 10 to 12 hours per week coaching plus additional
Earnings: £7,500 p.a.
Duration: Initial six-month probationary period, thereafter agreed fixed term
An exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic individual to lead the Bo’ness ASC coaching team in the development of swimmers and progression of the most talented to the highly successful Falkirk Integrated Regional Swim Team (FIRST) programme.
The Club is the home of competitive swimming for Bo’ness, Linlithgow and the surrounding areas. It is a swiMark accredited member of SASA and a founder member of FIRST. We are committed to developing swimmers into skilled, competitive athletes who enjoy a challenge and seek to achieve their potential in the sport.
Over the last three years, Bo’ness ASC has undergone significant change, including a programme of coach development. During this time the Club has gained a reputation for preparing swimmers to Scottish National standard. In addition, it continues to produce strong district level and club swimmers, with a membership of around 110 at present.
We are looking to recruit a motivated, ambitious and reliable individual to continue the excellent work undertaken by our current Head Coach to support a strong future for the Club. The new Head Coach will be responsible for overseeing the coaching programme and carrying out additional responsibilities as outlined below.
The main responsibilities and duties of the Head Coach are to:
- Oversee and participate in the effective and safe delivery of coaching (pool and land work) for all swimmers in the Club and to coordinate coaching to ensure that appropriate cover is available for all squads for all training sessions, competitions and other events
- Lead the Club at swimming competitions or coordinate appropriate qualified cover
- Work with coaches to produce a comprehensive training plan across all squads and ensure progressive movement of swimmers through squads including to the FIRST programme
- Plan a suitable competition calendar appropriate for each squad for the forthcoming season
- Provide clear, progressive and accessible development paths for athletes and coaches of all abilities, and give feedback on progression
- Communicate effectively with swimmers, coaches, committee members, volunteer helpers and parents
- Work closely with the Committee to plan and implement the future development of the Club
- Attend monthly Committee meetings and provide update reports
The Head Coach will:
- Motivate and inspire swimmers to achieve their potential
- Provide first class coaching
- Have excellent leadership, communication, mentoring and management skills
- Embrace the Club’s ethos and contribute to its success
- Abide by and promote Club policies, child protection, fair play and equal opportunities
- Undertake duties with the upmost professionalism at all times
- Continually develop their skills and capabilities through ongoing CPD opportunities
- Develop an excellent working relationship with the Committee
The successful applicant should hold a UKCC Level 2 Coaching/Teaching Qualification. However, consideration will be given to experienced Level 1 applicants demonstrating a commitment to undertaking further education. In addition, the candidate should hold, or at least be willing to undertake, their National Pool Lifeguard Qualification and attend regular training.
The Head Coach will have an agreement with the Bo’ness ASC Committee on a self-employed basis. Initially there will be a six-month probationary period, thereafter converted to a fixed term contract to the agreement of both parties.
Remuneration will be up to £7,500 p.a. depending on experience, qualifications and responsibility assumed. Delivery of training sessions will amount to around 10 to 12 hours per week, with competition attendance and management time in addition. Travel expenses will be reimbursed.
Enhanced PVG checks will be carried out on preferred candidates. Bo’ness ASC will not engage the services of anyone who does not have the right to work in the UK.
The current Head Coach’s agreement is due to conclude end of July 2019. Ideally, the successful candidate will shadow her role and increase their responsibilities gradually over the period to her departure.