Bo’ness Amateur Swimming Club – Head Coach
Organisation: Bo’ness Amateur Swimming Club
Location: Bo’ness Recreation Centre and Academy
Job Type: Head Coach
Hours: Around 10 to 12 hours per week coaching plus additional
Earnings: £7,500 p.a.
Duration: Initial six-month probationary period, thereafter agreed fixed term
An exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic individual to lead the Bo’ness ASC coaching team in the development of swimmers and progression of the most talented to the highly successful Falkirk Integrated Regional Swim Team (FIRST) programme.
The Club is the home of competitive swimming for Bo’ness, Linlithgow and the surrounding areas. It is a swiMark accredited member of SASA and a founder member of FIRST. We are committed to developing swimmers into skilled, competitive athletes who enjoy a challenge and seek to achieve their potential in the sport.
Over the last three years, Bo’ness ASC has undergone significant change, including a programme of coach development. During this time the Club has gained a reputation for preparing swimmers to Scottish National standard. In addition, it continues to produce strong district level and club swimmers, with a membership of around 110 at present.
We are looking to recruit a motivated, ambitious and reliable individual to continue the excellent work undertaken by our current Head Coach to support a strong future for the Club. The new Head Coach will be responsible for overseeing the coaching programme and carrying out additional responsibilities as outlined below.
The main responsibilities and duties of the Head Coach are to:
- Oversee and participate in the effective and safe delivery of coaching (pool and land work) for all swimmers in the Club and to coordinate coaching to ensure that appropriate cover is available for all squads for all training sessions, competitions and other events
- Lead the Club at swimming competitions or coordinate appropriate qualified cover
- Work with coaches to produce a comprehensive training plan across all squads and ensure progressive movement of swimmers through squads including to the FIRST programme
- Plan a suitable competition calendar appropriate for each squad for the forthcoming season
- Provide clear, progressive and accessible development paths for athletes and coaches of all abilities, and give feedback on progression
- Communicate effectively with swimmers, coaches, committee members, volunteer helpers and parents
- Work closely with the Committee to plan and implement the future development of the Club
- Attend monthly Committee meetings and provide update reports
The Head Coach will:
- Motivate and inspire swimmers to achieve their potential
- Provide first class coaching
- Have excellent leadership, communication, mentoring and management skills
- Embrace the Club’s ethos and contribute to its success
- Abide by and promote Club policies, child protection, fair play and equal opportunities
- Undertake duties with the upmost professionalism at all times
- Continually develop their skills and capabilities through ongoing CPD opportunities
- Develop an excellent working relationship with the Committee
The successful applicant should hold a UKCC Level 2 Coaching/Teaching Qualification. However, consideration will be given to experienced Level 1 applicants demonstrating a commitment to undertaking further education. In addition, the candidate should hold, or at least be willing to undertake, their National Pool Lifeguard Qualification and attend regular training.
The Head Coach will have an agreement with the Bo’ness ASC Committee on a self-employed basis. Initially there will be a six-month probationary period, thereafter converted to a fixed term contract to the agreement of both parties.
Remuneration will be up to £7,500 p.a. depending on experience, qualifications and responsibility assumed. Delivery of training sessions will amount to around 10 to 12 hours per week, with competition attendance and management time in addition. Travel expenses will be reimbursed.
Enhanced PVG checks will be carried out on preferred candidates. Bo’ness ASC will not engage the services of anyone who does not have the right to work in the UK.
The current Head Coach’s agreement is due to conclude end of July 2019. Ideally, the successful candidate will shadow her role and increase their responsibilities gradually over the period to her departure.
well done to our coach Susan Grant and her sister, Carol Thomson (Masters Squad BASC), at their shark dive at Deep Sea World, South Queensferry.
"This is something that's been on our bucket list for a while so decided to take the plunge for our special birthday this year. We were in the water for around 25 minutes with 7 sand tiger sharks and other fish, including sting rays and smaller sharks. Was a bit scary, in particular getting used to the breathing gear and weights to keep us at the bottom of the tank, but had a wonderful time once we were in the big tank."
Bo`ness ASC runs solely on the personal time given up by parents and guardians through the committee or volunteering.
We have a few positions on the committee that are vacant and we need to have these filled as soon as possible to safeguard the future of the club.
This is a plea to all of you. If you have any spare time to give to all the swimmers within the Club, please make yourself known.
Remember, the more volunteers we have the less work/time is required!
We need volunteers to step forward for Meat Managers, Level 1 Graded Coach or you simply want to be a poolside helper.
If you can help the swimmers and the club – Please let us know.
We would like to say a big thank you to Michael Nicolson who stepped down after many years of hard work as the club's Tech Admin and Meet Manager.
His dedication and commitment to the club success is to be applauded.The committee wishes him and his family all the best for the future.
A big thank you and warm welcome to our new committee members:
Rachel mcCavish - Gala convenor
Gillian black and Rachel Bremner- swim shop
Well done for supporting the club!!!
And on that note:
Welcome new swimers: Matthew Dwayne (Platinum), Charlotte Marr (Bronze), Olivia Stump (Developers), Macy Davidson (Developers) and James Reap (Developers)
Also, warm welcome to our new members transfered from Grangemouth: Matthew Dwane (Platinum), Jamie Marr (Silver) and Charlotte Marr (Bronze)
Well done to Hazel Glen, Kevin Cuthill, Keith Knight, Udi Tiran & Mark Beetham for completing the Safeguarding and Protecting Children workshop in February.
Upcoming swimming events
- Swim West Lothian 2019 IM TOUGH MEET
Fri, 17 May - Sun, 19 May, Xcite, Bathgate
- Alloa ASC, Junior Development Meet
Sun, 19 May - Sun, 19 May, Grangemouth Sports Centre
Open water events
we encourage our swimmers to take part in Open Water Swimming events
- 3/6 - Island to island: Murray Kilgour and Michael Mooney
- 9/6 - Windermere, lake district: Jonathan Tiran, Iona Hamilton, Niamh Glen and Aoife Glen.
BBQ at Muiravonside Country Park, 23 June, 13:00
We plan to have lots of fun activities (such as pin the hair bun on the Head Coach!) whilst enjoying freshly cooked food and each other’s company.
additional information and tickets will be on sale soon...
We will also be arranging a fund raising `fun`race night later in the year. Over the coming months, Shannon will be filming our swimmers taking part in races in training. These videos will then be then `re-run` on the night. Obviously, not all races will be used, and with numerous scenarios filmed, there will be no cheating on the night!
After the busy start to the year, the competition calendar finally eased off to allow the Scottish National Age Group Championship 2019 (SNAGS) to take place at the Tollcross International Swimming Centre on the 27th – 31st of March. We had the fantastic achievement of two of our Gold Squad swimmers, Gregor Skinner and Samuel Beetham, being selected to join the F.I.R.S.T Squad to take part in some of the SNAGS relays.
Bo`ness ASC was also well represented in the F.I.R.S.T squad with some amazing swims again…
Here are a few of our swimmer’s poolside before the races began.
Back row - Douglas Calder
Front row – Samuel Beetham & Ellie Hamilton
It has been a busy start to the 2019 for Bo`ness ASC and as it`s been a few months since our last Newsletter, a lot has happened.
The new WhatsApp groups are working well and the changes in swimmers attending competitions is slowly bedding in..
We have also placed an order for the purchase of new backstroke flags for the Recreation Centre Pool. The faded, rather tatty existing flags will be replaced with ones more appropriate for a high achieving sports club. Sticking with the club’s colours of gold, red and black, the following design will soon be seen:
With the new backstroke starting block and flags, all swimmers should be achieving huge backstroke PB`s from now on!
We will be holding our Annual General Meeting (AGM) on the 9th May 2019 at 6.15pm in the GP Room at Bo'ness Recreation Centre (off the café).
In accordance, please find attached the Notice of AGM, the Agenda for the AGM, the Minutes of the last AGM and the Notice of proposed changes to our Constitution, By-laws and Regulations which will be posted on our noticeboard.
We hope to see as many as possible of you at the AGM, in fact, by the constitution we need a minimum number for it to be "quorate"! In all seriousness, it is vital to the survival of the club that parents or guardians get involved as we are entirely run by volunteers. Please come along and show your support.
If you have a few hours to spare on a regular basis we would love to hear from you. And many roles can be shared by two volunteers to make the load lighter.
See you then!
Falkirk Schools off Saturday 30th March – Sunday 14th April inclusive + Friday 19th April - Monday 22nd April inclusive
West Lothian Schools off Saturday 6th April – Monday 22nd April inclusive
- Saturday 30th March: Training as per term time schedule
- Monday 1st April:
- All squads except Masters – Training as per term time schedule
- Masters – 7.00pm to 8.00pm Bo’ness Academy (venue change)
- Land training cancelled
- Tuesday 2nd April: Training as per term time schedule
- Thursday 4th April:
- Developer/ Improvers – training as per term time schedule (6:00pm to 7:00pm at Bo’ness Recreation Centre)
- Bronze/ Silver – 7.00pm to 8.30pm at Bo’ness Academy (venue change)
- Gold/ Platinum/ Masters – training as per term time schedule
- Friday 5th April: Training as per term time schedule
- Saturday 6th April - Training as per term time schedule
- Monday 8th April - Training Cancelled
- Tuesday 9th April - Training Cancelled
- Thursday 11th April - Training Cancelled
- Friday 12th April - Training Cancelled
- Saturday 13th April - Training Cancelled
- Monday 15th April:
- All squads except Masters – training as per term time schedule
- Masters - 7:00pm to 8:30pm at Bo’ness Academy (venue change)
- Tuesday 16th April: Training as per term time schedule
- Masters cancelled
- Thursday 18th April:
- Developers/ Improvers – Training as per term time schedule (6:00pm to 7:00pm at Bo’ness Recreation Centre)
- Silver/ Bronze/ Masters - 7:00pm to 8:30pm at Bo’ness Academy (Silver/ Bronze venue change)
- Gold/ Platinum – Training as per term time schedule (5:00pm to 7:00pm at Bo’ness Academy)
- Friday 19th April – Good Friday - Training Cancelled
- Saturday 20th April - Training Cancelled
- Monday 22nd April – Easter Monday - Training Cancelled