Bo’ness ASC encourages members of the club to become involved in coaching and for this purpose operate a sponsorship policy. This policy applies to members who wish to attend accredited coaching or Lifeguard education courses and who:
- Meet the required standard set by the professional bodies to obtain the desired accreditation
- Have been approved by the BASC Head Coach to pursue the course
- Have been approved by the BASC Committee as qualifying for sponsorship.
The Coach should seek approval from the Head Coach in advance of attending the course.
This approval should be noted in writing and forwarded to the BASC Secretary detailing the level of coaching/Lifeguarding expected by the coach upon qualification.
The BASC Committee will assess the recommendation and a decision will be noted in the minutes at a Committee Meeting. If granted a written sponsorship approval stating the terms of the sponsorship including the expected level of Coaching/Lifeguarding upon completion of course will be forwarded to the Coach and the Head Coach.
Coaching Course Sponsorship
The Committee can grant sponsorship up to 100% of the course cost at their discretion.
UKCC Level 1 Courses
A bursary is currently available from Scottish Swimming to cover part of the cost of this course. The coach will apply for this bursary and will also provide BASC with a cheque to cover an agreed proportion (typically 50%) of the cost of the course which will act as an insurance policy for the club.
This cheque will only be banked if the coach fails to:
- attend the course or
- meet the criteria of the Scottish Swimming Bursary to the extent that this is not paid or
- meet the levels of coaching agreed with the Committee prior to application.
The cheque will be returned to the coach 12 months after completion of the course conditional on the above criteria having been met.
UKCC Level 2/3 Courses
Bursaries may be available from Scottish Swimming to cover part of the cost of these courses. The coach will apply for this bursary and will also provide BASC with a cheque to cover an agreed proportion of the cost of the course which will act as an insurance policy for the club.
The criteria to be met will be agreed between the Committee and the Coach prior to applying for the course and will be recorded in the form of a sponsorship agreement as detailed above. The cheque will only be banked if the coach fails to meet these criteria.
The cheque will be returned to the coach 12 months after completion of course conditional on the criteria having been met.
NPLQ Lifeguard Courses
The Club will pay for 25% of the cost of the Lifeguarding Course. The remaining 75% must be covered by the Lifeguard. The Lifeguard can either pay directly for the remaining 75% or can pay for part and commit to paying back the remainder in approved Lifeguarding hours. The candidate should provide a cheque to the club to cover the costs which will be covered by approved hours.
This cheque will only be cashed should the Lifeguard fail to work the required number of hours for the club.
The cheque will be returned to the Lifeguard once the required number of hours have been worked.
SASA Annual Fees and Monthly Swimming Fees
The Club will also cover the annual SASA Membership Fee and monthly swimming fees for all Coaches who are also swimmers and who:
- are qualified to a minimum of UKCC Level 1 and
- coach 2 or more sessions per week on a regular basis
The Head Coach will advise the Committee of any Coaches who meet these criteria and, once agreed by the Committee, the Membership Secretary/Treasurer will adjust the fees accordingly.
Should the Coach subsequently no longer meet the criteria above, their monthly fees will return to normal and they will be required to cover the cost of future SASA Annual Membership fees.